On Wednesday, the prices change for Publix, Bi-Lo and Food Lion. Prices will remain the same through Saturday for Rite-Aid, Walgreens, Ingles, and CVS. I have found some very good deals at all the stores, but the ones I am going to shop on my “away” day are Publix and Bi-Lo. Every Wednesday, Publix has a “mystery item” that is only one penny, you just need to buy $10 worth of items to qualify AND have the coupon which is found in the first section of the newspaper. Clip your coupon first thing and put it with your wallet so you don’t forget it. The mystery item is almost always something useful, like peanut butter or toilet paper, so it’s worth getting. If it’s something you don’t want, like a few weeks ago they had Halloween candy (I don’t have small children at home any more), then find someone to give it to. But don’t miss out, whatever the item is, it is worth way more than one penny.
With all the ‘buy 1 get 1 free’ deals this week, it will be easy to get $20 worth of items for your stockpile for $10 and get the penny item. Here is my list.
- Post Cereals – Selects, or Great Grains, Buy 1 Get 1 Free, $2.05 each
- Fresh Express Salads, Buy 1 Get 1 Free, $2.00 each
- Progresso Recipe Starters, Buy 1 Get 1 Free, $1.20 each
- Barilla Pasta, Buy 1 Get 1 Free, $0.72 each
If you also collect coupons, you’ll see some special deals jump out at you right away. This past Sunday, there was a coupon in the paper for $0.50 off the Progresso Recipe Starters. Publix doubles coupons up to $0.50, so that coupon would double, which would mean you would get the Recipe Starters for $0.20 each, down from $2.40 each. That is definitely a stock-up price. However many coupons you have (you can get extras by asking friends and relatives, or buying extra papers), get as many of those Recipe Starters.
There is also a printable $0.50 off coupon that will double at Coupons.com if you are at a computer where you can print coupons. The print limit is 2 coupons per computer, so if you have more than one computer, you can print multiple copies.
Barilla pasta is at a low price, so buy extra for your stockpile. Post cereals regularly go on sale for B1G1, although the Great Grains and Selects tend to be a healthier variety than their others (Fruity Pebbles and so on), so this may be the time to get extra, especially if you have coupons.
I am getting:
- 2 boxes of Great Grains at $2.05 each, using a $1 off coupon for each, spending $2.10 for both
- One Fresh Express salad for $2.00, using a $1.00 of coupon, spending $1.00
- Six Progresso Recipe starters at $1.20 each, using six $0.50 coupons that will double, spending $1.20 for all 6
- I’m really stocked up on pasta currently and only need 2 boxes of Barilla pasta, $1.45 for both
- Getting the penny item, whatever it is, for $0.01 – they count the $10 total BEFORE coupons, so this will qualify
Total to spend $5.76, for at least $30 worth of items (depending on value of the penny item)
I have a huge day planned at Bi-Lo tomorrow, I may even have to go to more than one store. There are a lot of Buy One Get One Free deals that are on my long-term list, plus several fresh items that I plan on using this week for meals.
I am getting:
- Hellmann’s 30 oz mayonnaise B1G1 for $2.85, I also have coupons for $1 off, will spend $1.85 each
- All laundry detergent 28-32 loads B1G1 for $3.00, I have coupons for $2 off each, will spend $1.00 each
- Campbells Chunky Soup $1.50 each, I have coupons for $1 off of 2 cans, will spend $1.00 each. Keep in mind there are many Campbells coupons out now. One of the recent ones in the newspaper was a $0.50 off of 2 cans of the “100% Natural”, and many of the Chunky flavors are labeled “100% Natural” so you can use those. The actual Chunky coupons are $0.50 off of 3 or even 4 cans, so I will use the ones for the 100% Natural on the cans labeled that way to get the best price.
- Cabot Cheese for $2.50, I have coupons for $0.50 off that will double, will spend $1.50 each
- Quaker Real Medleys oatmeal cup for $1.50, I have coupons for $0.50 that will double, will spend $0.50 each
- Snuggle fabric softener 32-40 loads B1G1 for $2.35, I have coupons for $2 off, will pay $0.35 each (wow!!!)
- Mt. Olive pickled peppers B1G1 for $1.23 each, I have coupons for $0.55 each that will double, will pay $0.13 each (super wow!!!)
- Thomas’ English Muffins B1G1 for $2.10, I have coupons for $1.00 each, will pay $1.10 each